Group History

The 29th Glasgow was founded on 24 February 1919. The number was a re-issue from a Troop that folded at the outbreak of the First World War. Only 1 mention in a press cutting remains as a record of the ‘former 29th Glasgow’. Our full title is: 29th Glasgow (1st Newlands) Scout Group, although as Scout Groups were not ‘invented’ till the 1920’s the original title referred to Boy Scout Troop.

The first meetings were held in what is now Newlands South Church. Within months we had our first Headquarters adjacent to the Weir’s recreation Ground in Kintore Road. Opened by the Duke of York it became known as the York Hut.

A few years later the Hut was moved to Newlandsfield Road adjacent to the Tram Depot, the site of the current Morrisons super store.

Wolf cubs were formed in 1921.

Rovers followed in 1923 and this marked the 29th Glasgow having all sections so when Scout Groups were formally created the 29th Glasgow was well established.

During the Second World War a number of former members were in the forces. Scouts continued and performed valuable war service as despatch riders for the Fire Service based in Pollok.

The Sea Scouts were formed in 1946 and four years later obtained Admiralty Recognition as Unit No 90, a standard maintained today as Royal Naval Recognised unit No 90.

With maintenance material being in short supply during the war the old hut was in need of major repair so a building fund was set up. A new headquarters was built and opened in 1955.

1967 saw the disappearance of the Rovers and the birth of the Venture Scouts.

Within the 29th Glasgow a junior section for the 6 to 8 year olds was formed in 1972, the Badgers. A few years later the Scout Association followed our lead and launched the Beavers where upon our Badgers became the Beavers of today.

In 1969 the Group bought its first Mini-Bus and since then we have operated a bus that supports the numerous external activities. Our current bus has the registration number of L14 DON, acknowledging the financial contribution from the late Don Cameron.

In 2003 the Venture Scouts disappeared with Explorer Scouts (14 to 18) and Scout Network (18 to 25) evolving to take their place. Within the 29th Glasgow the ‘Scout Troop’ (10 ½ to 14) was formed to deliver both Land and Sea Scouting. To reflect this we have called them ‘Discovery Scouts’, abbreviated to Discos. We currently have two Disco Troops one meeting on Wednesdays the other meeting on Thursdays.

The 29th Glasgow has been at the fore of many developments. In the early 1990’s the requirement for adventurous activities to follow the training programmes of National Governing Bodies was recognised. Taking this onboard an increasing number of qualifications were gained by Leaders and the youth members. In 1998 we became an autonomous Royal Yachting Association (RYA) recognised Teaching Establishment for Dinghy Sailing and Powerboating. Initially this was for our activities at Castle Semple Loch but this has now been extended the Firth of Clyde using our boats that are based at the Largs Sailing Club. In addition the Group makes extensive use of the Lochgoilhead Scout Centre in return members of the Group frequently assist on the Centre Staff. Today the RYA refer to recognised Training Centres and we have added the shore based First Aid, VHF Radio, basic Navigation & Safety, Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper courses.

On the land side we have Leaders with Mountain Leader Certificates, hill terrain 1 authorisations and an Alpine Ski Leader as well as over 20 Leaders with Night’s Away permits. Indeed while RN Recognition is linked with water activities the Balanced Programme offered by the 29th Glasgow to the Scouts plays a big part in the Group being acknowledged as being in the top 10% of RN Approved Groups.

Internationally the 29th Glasgow has been represented at all overseas World Scout Jamborees, a record that may well be unique.

The Cameron Halls

Our Headquarters, the Cameron Halls, are situated at 147 Mossgiel Road in the Newlands area of Glasgow. Set in about 1 acre of ground it comprises the following:

  • Large Hall (19m x 8 m)
  • Small Hall (15m x 6m)
  • 2 meeting rooms
  • Kitchen
  • 4 storage rooms
  • Passageways and toilets

The Large hall can be set out to seat up to 200. The Halls are centrally heated an essential feature for the winter months. Our present headquarters were built in the early 1950’s being opened by Sir John Hunt (of Everest fame) in June 1955. In 1979, during the 50th anniversary of the formation of the Group the Halls were formally named ‘the Cameron Halls’ in appreciation of the contribution that Don Cameron had made to the Group over many years.

In 1986, the halls were badly damaged by fire. Following reinstatement we were favoured with a visit from the Chief Scout, Garth Morrison, who formally re-opened our Headquarters. To commemorate his visit the 29th Glasgow presented the Chief Scout with a wooden bowl crafted by Alex Hanlon. The bowl had 29 year rings as a reminder of the Group.

Today our members and a small but dedicated group of parents and friends maintain the Cameron Halls. In addition to accommodating our own sections and diverse activities, the Cameron Halls are a meeting place for a number of our local community groups. We also frequently host Scout District, Area and Scottish Headquarters events and meetings. Over the next few years we hope to undertake a major modernisation programme so that the Cameron Halls will continue to meet our developing needs and be more suitable to support the activities of the local community without being an annoyance to our neighbours.